Monday, October 14, 2013

A Day in the Life of... {Autumn}

Make-believe cameras followed my family around on Monday, October 14, 2013 to document every single mundane moment of our day. Here is a glimpse into a single day in our lives.  

3:53 a.m.
We are startled awake by cries through one of the monitors. Instinctively we know it's Ashton since Spencer has slept like a rock since he was a teeny tiny baby. Dave trudges through the dark into Ashton's room to comfort him, as it has been our system since I began the weaning process all those months ago. I feel like it's a fair trade off. He gets up once every few months for approximately 30 seconds and I roll over and fall back asleep. Well, if we're keeping score, it's not truly fair because if we sat down and calculated how much time I've spent awake in the wee hours of the night versus Dave, then I'd win by a landslide. And when Dave grumbles in the middle of the night, I'm sure to remind him of this fact.

7:05 a.m.
I normally wait for Spencer to sneak into my room, crawl into bed and request Go, Diego, Go before I force myself out of bed. But this morning he sleeps in. Since it is a busy day, I scurry into the shower to get ready before the boys awake.

7:07 a.m.
Spencer pops his head into my bathroom, announcing he's up. He entertains himself with some blocks on the floor outside the bathroom. So much for my peaceful morning shower.

7:36 a.m.
Ashton awakes. Spencer likes to be the first in his room to greet him. Ashton is usually all smiles for his big brother. This morning I'm presented with a stinky present. A dirty diaper is always a great way to start the day.

7:41 a.m.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, solely because of its simplicity. Cereal, cereal or cereal? And the boys gobble it up and then ask for seconds and thirds. This morning, as with the few before it, Ashton chooses Rice Krispies. I silently grumble to myself because that kid can transform the cleanest food into the biggest mess. Try cleaning soggy, sticky, teeny tiny Rice Krispies off your floor, booster seat, table, kid's head, pajamas. You get the point. It's not exactly my favorite cereal for this reason, yet I keep on buying it.

8:01 a.m.
Spencer dresses himself these days. Some days he even picks out his own outfit. Mostly there's a lot of whining and pretending he's helpless, and a lot of me urging him to hush it and hurry. It was easier when I wasn't encouraging independence. At least Ashton is easy. Well, except when he won't sit still, which is pretty much always. Okay, so neither kid is easy to get dressed. Sometimes mornings really suck. But I will miss laying Ash on the changing table and blowing raspberries on his tummy and hearing that infectious giggle once he's dressing himself. And I'll miss hearing his constant ramblings about penises and vaginas and who has which hidden under their clothes, and whether they're icky or a fun toy. 

8:10 - 8:12 a.m.
Along with dressing himself, Spencer puts his own shoes on. Most days this is the biggest battle. First, he has to locate his shoes. Both of them. Which involves searching. Lots of searching. Or him standing around saying he can't find them and insisting he is looking, when really he's barely turning his heard from side to side. Then I tell him incrementally louder each time to please hurry and find his shoes because we're going to be late. Once said shoes are found, then we transition into the please, hurry and put them on, we're going to be late stage. He pretends he doesn't know how to put them on, and I repeat for the millionth time to undo the straps, pull out the tongue, stick your toes in and then wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. And, oh my god, if he puts it on the wrong foot on the first attempt, I nearly want to yell to forget the shoes all together; you don't really need shoes at preschool, right? But today--surprisingly--he puts his shoes on in record speed. Two minutes. And only a slight grumble when I told him he had them on the wrong feet. This is definitely the exception, not the rule, it must be noted.

8:22 a.m.
While we're mentioning Spencer's newly expected independence, I cannot exclude the dreaded car seat buckle. By this time in the process of getting out the door, my patience is quickly fading into oblivion and my pleas to stop whining and just buckle yourself in already are a bit high-pitched and gruff. Again, today, record speed. He must be excited for his field trip.

8:24 a.m.
We have the shortest commute to school on the days we drive. If we walk, it's about 40 minutes. Monday mornings Ashton and I run errands in town, so we drive to drop Spencer off at preschool. Today Spencer's class is going on a field trip. I am bummed that I can't tag along since the school doesn't allow younger siblings. Sometimes there are downfalls to not having daycare. This being up there on the top of the list. We say our good-byes to Spenc and head out, stopping to get gas first.

9:00 a.m.
Grocery shopping Monday mornings with one child is heavenly. The store is nearly deserted. There's no wrestling your way through the aisles or waiting in long check-out lines. Ashton always gets his free cookie from the bakery and we make our way through the store at a nice leisurely pace. I almost look forward to this weekly task.

9:57 a.m.
Once we're back home, I unload the groceries while Ashton attempts to help, loses interest and then runs off to play his version of Hide and Seek. Once the food is put away, I clean up the kitchen a bit. Again, Ash attempts to help, but he's easily distracted. After I do a few chores, Ashton and I soak up the little bit of one-on-one time we're granted each Monday while big brother is at preschool.

10:53 a.m.
We drive back to the school to pick up Spencer. The fire truck from their field trip is still parked outside. Since we weren't allowed to join them for it, I decide Ash should at least be allowed to glimpse it. After that brief photo-op we make our way inside the school, where the 3-year-old class is getting a demonstration from two firefighters. Ash and I eavesdrop until Spencer's class arrives back from their excursion at a local gas station. I'm bummed that I miss him getting off the bus since that's what he was the most excited about. Back in his classroom, he gets a plastic fireman hat and stickers and cookies. Ash even gets a hat since there were extras. Spencer promises to tell me all about his field trip once we get home.

11:23 a.m.
For lunch I make our new favorite meal: cheese quesadillas. I love them because they only involve two ingredients and minimal effort on my part. And the kids gobble them up like candy. Spencer evades my questions about his field trip, promising to tell me more after naps. I did manage to learn from another mom who volunteered that they went behind the coolers at the gas station, and Spenc said it wasn't cold. And he admitted the fireman part of the day was his favorite part. He knows to stop, drop and roll when on fire, and to call 911 if there's a fire or needs a doctor. I've tried showing him how to call for help on my cell phone since we don't have a land line anymore.

11:57 a.m.
We tackle Spencer's homework. His teacher sent home a cupcake made out of construction paper with instructions to decorate it. I quick whip one together for Ashton, bring out some stamps and ink and let the boys do as they please while I clean up the lunch mess. Then I let them top off the faux-cupcakes with some real sprinkles.

12:16 p.m.
The boys entertain themselves downstairs while I do a few chores: laundry and package an order from my etsy shop, Baby and You Handmade. Then we play with Legos until nap time.

1:06 p.m.
I read books to the boys separately in their rooms since it becomes too chaotic when I try to combine their pre-nap story times. Plus, the one-on-one snuggles and attention are so rare throughout the day that this little bit of time devoted to just them is kind of nice. I still turn Spencer's toddler bed around to form a makeshift crib at naps to keep him contained, lest he try to sneak out and play.

1:21 p.m.
While the boys nap, I try to be productive on a personal front. No household chores, in other words. But I like to sew or blog. But, honestly, some days I just sit on my butt in front of the TV. Today I tackle a homemade Christmas present for Spencer after spending a little time on Instagram.

2:36 p.m.
Now that Dave is back on overtime, Ashton lost his nap time snuggle buddy. This means his naps go back to being extremely short. When he awakes, I try to cuddle with him on the couch to encourage more sleep, but he mostly rubs his eyes and grunts at me as he wakes up painstakingly slow.

3:35 p.m.
I pack a picnic supper while Ashton supervises.

3:50 p.m.
I freshen up quick before we need to leave the house.

3:56 p.m.
Spencer wakes up crabby. This usually happens when he takes a long nap.

4:08 p.m.
We manage to leave the house in record time again. Today is off, but I'm not complaining. 

4:36 p.m.
We meet Dave at the park. He's greeted with the mommarazzi, and I remind him of my "job" to document each step of the day today. Honestly, I don't think he thought anything of it since I'm normally picture-happy on any given day anyway. We eat pita bread sandwiches, grapes, Pringles and fake Oreos for supper. The boys are allowed juice leftover from our camping trip, which is a real treat since it's a rarity except on special occasions. Afterwards, we play at the park to waste time before soccer. 

5:15 p.m.
We arrive early to the soccer field, so Spencer is finally granted his weeks' long wish to put on a show at the bandshell. His idea of a show is completely different than mine. I am expecting singing and dancing and acting; what we get is a lot of running, jumping, falling and squealing.

5:30 p.m.
Normally one of us goes to soccer with Spencer and the other to singing school with Ashton, but since it is Spencer's last night of soccer, we opt to all attend. At the end of the night, he is presented with a certificate, medal and--his personal favorite that he remembers from last year--a caramel apple sucker.

6:42 p.m.
Back home we exchange clothes for jammies and get ready for bed. Spencer is allowed his first TV viewing of the day, which, to be completely honest, is rare. Normally he watches some in the morning and some while I'm cooking supper. But, like I said, today is odd.

6:57 p.m.
It's Dave's turn to put Ashton to bed. He reads him stories, prays, talks about their day, and rocks with him before tucking him into his crib. Spencer and I snuggle on the couch and he watches Bubble Guppies while I scroll through my Instagram feed.

7:30 p.m.
I read to Spencer. We feed his fish. Then he crawls into bed for prayers and to discuss our favorite parts of the day. His: the fire fighter demonstration at preschool. Mine: our picnic supper at the park. His second favorite: the cookie at the park. 

7:47 p.m.

7:57 p.m.
Never mind. The celebratory dance of my beloved nightly freedom is premature. Spencer can't find his turtle light. I usher him back to his room, where he trips over a tractor, falls and then proceeds to cry at the top of his lungs. I comfort him, put him back to bed, give him his turtle light, kiss him and tell him it's night time.

7:59 p.m.

8:01 p.m.
Dave returns from his quick trip back into town. He changed the kitty litter without bothering to make sure there was more to refill it. This is pretty common. Apparently the lesson isn't learned easily. Spencer discovers Daddy is back and wants to be tucked in.

8:04 p.m.
Dave tops off my coffee, jumps in the shower, makes his lunch and then kisses me good-night.

8:33 p.m.


A Day in the Life of... {Summer} {Winter} {Spring}

No comments:

Post a Comment