Monday, July 22, 2013

A Day in the Life of... {Summer}

Make-believe cameras followed my family around on Monday, July 22, 2013 to document every single mundane moment of our day. Here is a glimpse into a single day in our lives.  

7:03 a.m.
I hear a whimper over one of the two monitors propped on the headboard. There's light filtering into the room and the side of the bed next to me is empty--Dave is at work. I realize this is the real deal: time to wake up. I jump into the shower quick before investigating the noise. Then I find Spencer out of bed, already helping himself to toys, eager to start a day of play. I take advantage of this and hurry through my morning routine of spraying wet hair with gel and swiping makeup on my face.

The master bedroom and bath.

7:51 a.m.
Ashton is still asleep. I throw some clothes at Spencer so he can get dressed. I start a pot of coffee before packing a lunch for later.

Kitchen, dining room and living room.

8:15 a.m.
Ashton finally wakes up. Spencer picks out a box of cereal from the Lazy Susan. Ashton is uncharacteristically clingy this morning and doesn't want me to put him in his booster seat. He juts out his lower lip in a pout no one could refuse. He sits on my lap while we eat.

My Instagram post of Ashton's pouty breakfast face.

8:55 a.m.
I get stuff ready for the morning. The plan is to hit up the library before our first day of swimming lessons.

9:40 a.m.
We pile into the van with little snack baggies of crackers.

10:04 a.m.
We make it through the library in record speed. The boys explore the little kids' section while I search the nonfiction section for books on ducks and dams.

10:22 a.m.
We are back in the van en route to the pool. We arrive with plenty of time to spare, so I let the boys play at the park for a while. I notice Spencer scrunched on the ground, a telltale sign he is pooping in his pants. I haul him into the bathroom and quickly clean out his swim trunks in the sink, hoping no one notices. 

Swim lessons go smoothly. Spencer isn't thrilled about the idea of going in the pool without me, but he had independent lessons over the winter at the Y so I know he can do it. I gently push him in the direction of his instructors and tell him he'll be fine. It's an overcast day and I'm not too excited to get into the cold water, but Ashton is giddy with impatience. I like that I can see Spencer from our spot in the pool and I steal glances at him from time to time. I was right: he's completely fine. He's splashing and kicking and being loud. Ashton mimics his brother's enthusiasm, but the other swimmers in his class aren't as wild and obnoxious as him. He keeps me on my toes.

Spencer is the kid on the far left with only his head visible.

11:15 a.m.
Ashton lesson ends. Spencer's class goes another fifteen minutes, so I quickly change Ashton into dry clothes. I don't bother changing mine because I've done that dance numerous times and it's not worth the effort of trying to contain kids and not give a free peep show.

11:34 a.m.
Lessons are done and we're back in the van. I divvy out the sandwiches and chips I packed earlier and tell the kids they cannot fall asleep on the drive home. I know from experience if they fall asleep in the car--even if they only sleep a few minutes--they will not nap at home.

12:11 p.m.
We're home. I throw in a load of laundry. Then get the kids ready for naps. I've been turning Spencer's toddler bed around at naps to contain him in his bed. Before this brilliant idea, he was playing and fooling around in his room instead of sleeping. Come 4:00 he was so grouchy and overtired, he was unbearable to be around. Dave asked me the other day when I'll quit turning the bed around to make a crib at naps. Maybe never!

12:33 p.m.
This is what I refer to as my "lunch break" -- when the kids are asleep and I have some much needed time to myself. I try to be productive: sew, blog, etc. But oftentimes I'll just sit on my butt and read or watch TV. I absolutely never do housework. This time is my sanity, my time to recharge before the next round. Today I'm working on an early birthday gift for Ashton. I have a long list of things to make for fall/winter birthdays and Christmas. I hope to accomplish the list by the end of October.
My sewing/scrapbook/guest room, and my current project.

2:42 p.m.
The boys are up. We make a snack of peanut butter spread onto saltines. The boys eat more peanut butter than actually help make the cracker sandwiches. We watch one cartoon while snacking. I change over the load of laundry from the morning I completely forgot about. This happens frequently. Sometimes days go by before I remember, and then I have to rewash the load.

3:12 p.m.
We do a project for the letter D of our alphabet series. Ashton mostly eats the glue stick.

3:36 p.m.
We head outside to play in the front yard. Spencer rides his little trike while I push Ashton in the wagon to get the mail. On our way down to the mailboxes, the neighbor tells us the mailman must be running late today. We continue on down the street instead, opting to check our box anyway. Empty. We finish our trek down to the end of the cul-de-sac, turn around, and head back home. Ashton climbs onto the motorized tractor. He's obsessed with the thing, but he can't reach the pedals yet. Spencer agrees to drive his little brother around, even though there's really not room for two on the single seat. After seeing the mailman drive by, we wander back down to the mailbox and the boys carry the junk mail in the trailer for me.

4:20 p.m.
We go back inside. I dole out refreshments and turn on the TV so I can start supper. As soon as Ashton's juice is gone, he wanders into the kitchen to find me. TV doesn't interest him yet. He hauls a chair across the room and climbs up so he can help me cook. Spencer used to do the exact same thing. It makes me smile. Ashton gnaws on the raw biscuit dough and freaks out when I won't let him eat it all. He loses interest in cooking and joins Spencer in the living room.

5:09 p.m.
Time for supper. We eat early in my house. If it gets too much past 5:00, we get a bit grumpy. I made gravy from some leftover chicken drippings in the fridge. Dave grabbed a rotisserie chicken on his way home from work because I forgot to take out chicken from the freezer this morning. We eat this over the homemade biscuits. After supper Dave cleans up and I get everyone ready for school.

5:54 p.m.
We arrive at Evening Song, a class we've been attending since Spencer was a baby. He's since graduated to the preschool room. Now Ashton is in the baby room with either me or Dave; we alternate weeks. Ashton is timid for approximately five seconds because it's our first class since the spring. Then he's all over the place, taking out as many toys as he possibly can before it's time to settle down into the program. Amazingly, he sits through circle time nicely. That was always a challenge for him before. But then he can only be contained in short spurts from there after. The class ends with the preschoolers joining us in the baby room for "hay rides"--being pulled across the floor on a blanket. And then each kid takes a turn swinging in a blanket as we sing the good-bye song to them. It's hard to see Spencer swinging in the blanket now when not that long ago he seemed so little in it.

7:38 p.m.
We're back home again. Dave ran to the grocery store while we were gone. I normally buy the groceries Mondays with the boys in tow, but swimming lessons has thrown our whole schedule off. 

Dave and I tag team bedtime, switching which boy we put to bed each night. Tonight I get Ashton. He's the easier of the two so sometimes we argue over whose turn it is. Once upon a time while I was still nursing Ashton, I got all of his bedtimes. Now I have to share. Once Ashton is down, I join Dave in Spencer's room, where we pray together and ask each other our favorite parts of the day.

Once both boys are tucked in for the night, Dave and I get our time. I email, blog, Facebook and eventually make my way over to the TV. Dave showers, makes his lunch and crawls into bed by 8:30 since he wakes up before 4 a.m. Then we start the whole day anew.


A Day in the Life of... {Autumn} {Winter} {Spring}

No comments:

Post a Comment